It was an idea that grew from our founder, walking his dog in the alleys of Sacramento, and the dream of turning those grungy spaces into public works of art.
From its roots as a 10-day festival in the heat of the summer, it has grown into multiple events including, concerts, gallery shows, movie premieres, artist talks, and more.
With worldwide recognition and the creation of over 600 mural projects, the future of WOW focuses on the needs of our underserved youth and the communities they live in.
WOW: US is Wide Open Walls Uplifting Schools. We have committed to paint a minimum of 20 murals at all Sacramento City Unified School District campuses, with an education and mentoring component that is unique to each school’s needs.
Bringing beautiful art to campus walls will enhance the educational experience, improve mental health, giving everyone something of which to be proud. Over the years, we have created:
- 135 WOW: US murals and counting at local schools; beautifying and creating amazing spaces in which to learn, grow, and create. 70 schools are currently on our agenda.
- 210 permanent works during our festivals as gifts to our region.
- 275 temporary works have been presented at events like;
- Paint the Park 1 & 2 with Sac Republic FC – over 120 created
- Sacramento Bee Mural Jam with 130 created
- Concerts in the Parks series
- Style Wars I & II
As proud as we are for what we’ve accomplished, bringing beauty to blank walls, and employing hundreds of artists locally and worldwide, the future is uplifting schools, students, and the communities where they reside.